Sunday, December 15, 2013

Asbury United Methodist Church

The Methodist Church is a Protestant Christian denomination with an emphasis on practical Christianity. It has roots back to 1739 in England and is based on the teaching of John Wesley. In 1968, different factions of the Methodist movement joined together to form what is now The United Methodist Church. 

Today I attended the Asbury United Methodist Church. I went to the Church's Website before I attended - it was very open and informative. It told me exactly what I needed to know to visit their church. 
Every Sunday they hold both a traditional and a contemporary service. In theory, I believe that God's word should be enough to engage any audience.  In practicality though I think that it is smart that many churches are offering contemporary services to make the church more inviting and inclusive to a different group than has traditionally been involved in the church. 

I attended their Act2 Contemporary Service at 11 AM. Associate Pastor Dr. Todd Seelau led the service. A live band provided warm and meaningful music. They put the lyrics to the songs and the bible verses up on a big screen.   

Today was part of the advent and since the advent marks the beginning of the new year, the sermon focused on what that would mean in your walk with Christ this year. The sermon spoke about John the Baptist and how he was not accepted in his time. Rev. Todd spoke about how our path following Christ might too have times of struggle or be unconventional by cultural standards


They'll know we are Christians by our Love

John 13:34-35 Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

He spoke of what our actions say about us - are they consistent with the kind of person that we think we are, "are we letting people see and hear the person that we want to be." - Rev. Todd. He also spoke of having FUN during your journey with God. There ain't nothing wrong with a little fun along the way! Amen Brother. 

Communion was open to all ~ "this do in Remembrance of me"  
They had a wonderfully moving communion which included lighting a prayer candle for someone and praying over a blanket that would go to a needy individual. 

I also loved that they had a man in a cart after the service offering to transport people to their car if they needed assistance. 

I thought the Church did a great job at helping people get closer to GodReverend Todd was very engaging in the service, even soliciting participation from the group. Many of the congregants welcomed me and were friendly. The entire process was very inclusive and inviting to members and guests alike. 

Thank You Asbury United Methodist Church for allowing me to worship God with you today. 

Post Note: The church sent me a lovely letter, thanking me for my attendance, and hoping I felt welcomed in their home. Kudos ♡

3 comments:

  1. Proud to be your first undercover post! Glad you had a good time... let me know if I can ever help you in any way. This is a cool thing that you are doing. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support. God imprinted this journey on my heart and I look forward to the growth that I know will come from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating in Undercover Cross blog feedback. I appreciate your time and energy